Program: Niagara University Reaches Out to the World
Thursday, November 21, 2013
9:40 – 11:00: Panel Discussion, Bisgrove 350/351
· Nation and Community Building in Africa and Asia: A Sustainable Development Perspective
· Panelists: Dr. Abdiweli M. Ali, Marcus Stanfill, Reverend Father Augustine Matthew Ayaga, Dr. Haoua Hamza. Moderator: Dr. Dave Reilly
11:00 – 2:00: Table talk in the Gallagher with community organizations. Learn about these organizations and find out about volunteer and internship experiences:
· Journey’s End,
· Joe Little (Friendship Village),
· Vince Agnello (Kusaidia Afrika, Inc),
· Fr. Creagh (Vincentian Service Corp),
· Walter Polka (Ph.D. student research)
· Dr. Hamza (Global Network of Niger)
· Sharon Green (Global African Village)
· David Blackburn (Somali Bantu Community Organization)
· 3 more community groups TBA
· Posters display of student work/research on service on display
· Visual of alumni and students around the world
· LAMPI KER Drum Circle: Drum circle for beginners to experienced djembe drummer; drum and learn some drum rhythms, songs, as well as some history of drums and drumming in Western Africa.
· Somali Bantu Community Organization: A community organization in Buffalo that assists Somalians moving to the Buffalo area will perform a traditional item.
· Steel Drum Band from Trinidad.Free food samples.
12:40-2:00: Tea and Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony at the Castellani Art Museum. Free food samples.
2:10-3:30: Panel Discussion, Dunleavy 127
· Experiences and Perspectives of Niagara University Students Making a Difference in the Global Community
· Panelists: Rachel Tober, Molly Short Carr, Philicia Beckles and Attique John Khokhar; Moderator: Dr. Vince Rinaldo
5:40-8:30 Keynote Speakers at the Castellani Art Museum
6:00:-6:45 -- Reverend Father Sy Peterka C.M.: The Vincentian Mission in Africa. 6:45-7:30 -- Edward Brennan: Alumni and philanthropist in Haiti and elsewhere
7:30-8:30 -- Q & A, Refreshments